Monday, January 31, 2005

Boogie Nights!

With another amazing weekend under my belt, orientation is but a distant memory. A bad dream. to celebrate our freedom on Friday, we went out for pizza at this egyptian place (??) and started with a couple heineken. Then of course we found ourselves at the Highlander, the regular exchang student hang-out, until we were kicked out at 3:00am. I had another encounter with sketchy dutch boy which rivals the heineken son. Let me try to recreate the scene:
**I am typing away with Robin on MSN and checking email on the complimentary computer they set up for the email starved (and obsessed) exchange students when..."**
Sketchy Dutch boy approaches.
Sketchy Dutch boy: "Did you get my email?"
**I look at him trying hard to figure out where I know him from, if at all, decided i don't and ...."**
Kristen: "umm....no."
SKetchy Dutch Boy: "that's because you haven't given me your address yet."
Kristen: "did you just use a line on me? you must be dutch"
Sketchy: "yes i come here all the time..."
At this point I did my best to get rid of him, but they are kind of slow with rejection so you have to be very forward. I told Erin all about it, and so she decided to play a little game with him. A little later, she goes up to him and says "hey, did you get my email?" and it was all bad from there. he wouldn't leave her alone all night because he didn't understand she was making fun of him. Girls are so mean. haha.
At 3:00, we piled into Marco (the dreads)'s car and headed to Aechen in Germany. There is a really cool club there called Starfish so we hung around there until 6:30 or so. We met this group of Norwegian guys on vacation visiting family in Germany. For some reason they all had afro wigs on...they were a good time. i took a picture of one guy who fell asleep on the job and everyone just piled their wigs on top of him. unfortunately, i can't figure out how to post a picture here. if there are any fellow bloggers reading this, please enlighten me! i think i have to know somthing about html coding though...hmmm.
Saturday, i woke up at 12:45 and without even getting out of bed started to put things into motion for a bike ride. I didn't care what the weather was, or what time, or anything. i just want to ride my bicycle (said queen.). i was pleasantly surprised when i opened the blinds and there was SUN!!! even happier when i went outside and it was about 12 degrees!!! I met Mo, the dutch bike-boy (also sketchy) and we rode for about 4 hours through belgium. Again, I would post pictures, but can't figure it out!! ARGH!
the riding here is more than i expected (but i didn't expect much...). There isn't much single track, but there are, *gasp* a LOT of hills! and they are long!! for U of T MTBers, think of the rosedale hill x3. so hopefully by the end of my stay here, i will be a decent climber. I also hopped over a log or two, so I can't complain. The country side is really beautiful, and seriously, i saw a cliff. a cliff in holland. who knew?! Here's the best part though: we found these abandoned caves in Belgium where the brick-block has been broken through. they go for miles under ground and the cave floor is mostly dirt covered. We are coming back with headlamps and riding through when them once Mo's headlamp arrives. CRAZY! underground MTB.
Saturday's exertions were satisfying enough to deserve a little nap. I woke up at 21:20 feeling pretty please with myself. I sat in the common room with the Italians on my floor (Lauretta, Marco (the "glue") and Frederico) watching Euro MTV, (so weird...has anyone heard the song by Anouk called "girl"? if i hear that song one more time....Grrrr. ) and drinking fine italian wine that Frederico had stashed in his luggage. Thank you Frederico! once we were through that, we moved onto the whiskey. mmm. so good when it touches your lips! then we realized the time, and also that we were supposed to be at a party in the other building!! after a little "walk" in the parking lot (where I learned how to count to five in Italian, Spanish, Finnish, and Swedish!) we made our way to the floor party. I don't know how they did it, but there had to be about 100 people crammed onto that floor. It was great. However, we arrived too late and the beer was all gone. boooo. so we stayed and chatted for a bit, then me, the swede (christopher) and the finn (whose name i can't even pronounce, let alone type) went on to Metta. The rest of hte party followed us. no beer is big problem. We stayed there dancing until 6:20. GREAT night. WEIRD music. Any genre is game. dutch folk, euro techno, american rock and even some Billy Joel! (go canada!)
Sunday was the best sunday ever. sundays should always be like this. Met some friends who are of German origin, but not exchange students, got some chinese take out (which is not really like chinese food...we are seriously spoiled in toronto), rented "the perfect score"and then sat our asses on the couch at their place all afternoon.
My congratulations to Jerome however, who was certainly not sitting around on the couch. I hope you enjoyed your race at CIRCs!!
This morning I had my first class. Erin and I are thankfully in the same one and it is ädvertising". it started at 8:30 but now we changed it to 9:00 thank god. We were finished pretty early and so now we are both sitting here in the library like the internet fiends that we are. Today Erin is moving into my building and she has promised grilled cheese in exchange for helping her with the move. So exciting! (on all counts...)
Off to the grocery store (always an adventure...) and then GYM. you heard it here first.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angry Brown Man said...

To post comment, try using the hello photoblogger software: http://www.hello.com/download.php

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home