Thursday, February 17, 2005

Cows and pup tents

Yesterday I went for a bike ride with Mo...just a short one given the delicate condition of my sinuses. We rode around for a little while through some logging areas, and came upon a strange scene. Pictures to follow.... The first thing that caught my attention was the neatly arranged military encampment. There were camo pup tents, a large mess tent and two military trucks all just sitting there. Not a soul in sight. Wandering among the camp were some very large and numerous long-haired black cows. It was very odd. Isn't the veerd? Maybe you had to be there.
I will say this though: mountain biking through a cow path is great for "positive visualization". After the military camp/ranch, we went through some single track that was a little messy. Read: cow pies everywhere. I was having enough trouble with the mud anyway, not to mention all the logging cuttings, and then throw poop in the mix and it makes it a regular obstacle course. It forced me to pedal through when I really wanted to put my feet down. I will do anything to avoid getting cow shit on my shoes. Also a plus of Dutch mountain biking is the mud. I have learned, (and don't laugh--this may come off a little "slow") that many an obstacle can by overcome if you just keep pedalling. Jerome, I hear your voice as it was that one day in the Don with Thorsten. Pedal. PEdal. PEDAL PEDAL PEDAL. Wow, who knew. So now I don't suck so much in the slick stuff. But I think Dutch mud is stickier anyway. It is probably the cow shit.
Other thoughts on training: "in-shape" is a state of mind. I know I am "in-shape" when the pain is welcome. When it hurts and I think "good...now we're getting somewhere." "Out of shape" is a different story. When the pain comes, I think "kill me", "why do i do this?", "I'll never get anywhere". I don't think fitness has much to do with this thought process as how much can you really gain in a week? or even one workout? Yet, the thoughts change. I am clumsily trying to report: I finally feel good again. Watch out ;)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kris, those first few workouts after a break are HELL!! it's impossible to get into 'the zone' because all you can think about is how much it hurts. ugh... i guess we just have to never take any breaks! :-S
Marc

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home