Saturday, March 05, 2005

Let it snow!

So how are things on the other side of the Atlantic? On this side, it is snowy and cold. Sound familiar? Erin and I were a little put off at first, but I have to say that throwing snowballs at Italians and Spanish who have little experience with the white stuff is a pretty good time. Mind you watch out for the Finns, Swedes and Norwegians. They know what they're doing with the packing snow.
I wrote my first Dutch exam on Friday. That was an experience. I didn't really get to study for it as much as I wanted, nor was I prepared for either of my presentations this week (at least not to the level I am used to). I blame Erin. On Tuesday, I was all set to study and she made me play a drinking game instead. She tricked me with Tabouille, the brat. I was sucked in. Then she made me promise to come with her to highlander for "just one hour!" I couldn't let my buzz go to waste, so I agreed to go, but since we were only going for "just one hour" i didn't bother getting changed from dorm-wear, jeans, sweatshirt and a ballcap. Once Highlander alerted us of last call, Erin strikes again. "just one hour at Meta". FINE. Anyway, long story short, I was peer pressured all frigging night and didn't get home until 4, AND ended up at a NIGHT CLUB wearing afore-mentioned BALLCAP. oh well, its europe so you can do what you want. Since I wasted that night, I was starting to feel the pressure a little for the presentations. I smartened up and hit the library and even fit in all my workouts as well so I can forgive myself for Tuesdays ridiculousness. On my way home, the summer race season flashed before my eyes due to the snapping and growling of an unfriendly beast without leash or owner. I love dogs so it really pisses me off when they snap at me for no reason. It goes deeper than just being annoyed by unwarranted threat. it actually hurts my feelings for some stupid girly reason. Anyway, I was quite upset, a little at a loss for what to do about the snarling beast, and quite sure I was going to lose the quadraceps I have been working so hard to build. Luckily, the owner came and got him to leave me alone. It looked like a mini pit bull or something. Speaking of which, I hear they're not allowed in Ontario anymore. Whoa.
the presentations ended up going ok, because this school has the lowest standards ever. I have a feeling that when u of t sees the work I have been doing, they'll say congratulations: you can have 3 gr. 12 credits. Honestly, if you are serious about academics, i don't think I would come here. luckily, the academic portion of my degree is fulfilled, so I don't have to dwell on what a waste of time this is. I am not the only one who thinks this way though...every north american student has said similar things about the european post-secondary system. EASY. its weird because I have experienced the primary/secondary school system as well, and it is WAY more advanced than hours. Somewhere after highschool though, it takes a dive.
Case in Point: I ended up studying for 1/2 an hour for my globalisation exam and didn't really feel like I was screwed for it. Half the questions began with the words "how do you feel about..." or else, "what is your opinion..." honestly. Erin spends 2 hours on final papers and gets 8.5s which we were told not to ever expect (scale of 10). Most students here are happy with 6s and 7s. I have no marks back yet, so maybe i should shut my mouth. but i certainly don't feel too stressed.
Nothing else very exciting happened this week in Holland. Everyone is freaked about the snow. I saw some footage of some really horrible accidents in britain and the snow was falling like it does in Canada in October, so clearly they just aren't used to this.
Friday, besides the exam, was a great day. I had been planning a nap for Friday since Wednesday and fought for it at all costs. I got through coffee invites, shopping suggestions and lunch dates and once I had finished my workout, I settled into bed for my much-anticipated nap. I woke up after an hour and was very disappointed. I thought for sure I had more nap in my than that. So i layed there, looked at the pictures on my wall, thought about things, and drifted off again. i didn't wake up for another 3 hours. Heaven.
last night was slow to start, but turned out to be alright. Erin was writing a paper last minute, so when i woke up, cam and i went to the coffeeshop/internet cafe to check email and get checked out by creepy potheads. then we had our first trip to Albert Heijn. First of many. It is by far the superior grocery store. We made a nice dinner for the three of us, as Fenna was back in Amsterdam with her family for the weekend. Miss that girl...anyway, fresh pasta, meat sauce, a lovely salad and also some mussels left over from the Swedes' dinner. They make really good mussels btw. we were stuffed. It was snowing which was a deterrent to go out, but we ended up out anyway. Cam decided to hang out with her guitar (a new purchase...we have nicknamed it her boyfriend since she spends so much time with it) and Erin and I went to Highlander. good times. After last call, we went to Backstage (why is Meta closed on FRIDAY night?!) and were met with a very odd scene. It was just me, Erin and Marco and the mission was pool. However, it must have been goth night or something because everyone was dressed in PVC and buckles and scary makeup and hair. black black black. and yet, we were the ones who felt weird. Anyway, we played one game and then Backstage too closed and all the vampires went home to hurt each other in S and M practices or else just grab a plasma snack. I am so close minded. I guess we just went to the wrong place, because once I got home, and into bed asleep, I was awakened at 3, 4, and 4:30 by my cell phone. damn. should have gone to Alla (another club). then again, all that napping really tired me out. ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ugh, I know, but the weather stinks, and I have a big bill to pay on Monday with immigration, so I have to conserve resources. plus, i am at this moment doing actualy research for a paper. weird.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home