Wednesday, March 02, 2005

My tale of Row.

So sad so sad. No rowing for me in Holland. The Dutch take their rowing clubs very seriously and they are more like fraternities than clubs. Their athletes are all very tight and apparently there is no room at the Inn, as it were. the only way to join is to come out in September, without exception, so that you can be properly hazed. no haze, no row. I tried my best, called every week since I got here, sought out other athletes and made them call, even prowled for the boat house, but there is just no making them budge. I don't think I have it in me to give up on it, but there comes a time when you just start to feel silly about it. I am sure I am the biggest joke in their office..."oh that Canadian girl called again...who does she think she is?!" Anyway, life goes on. I am still erging, my back is holding up, my hips are happy and I am at weight. so just in case they miracuoulsy relent, i'll be ready.
On the bright side, the Dutch MTB team DID accept my membership and I am officially a member as of yesterday. It is a good bunch of people although the MTB side of the bike team is kind of small. there are three of us who will be racing when the weather gets a little better. Apparently we can only race in the fun class for some reason, but that's fine. I will be grateful just to be allowed to play. Uniform fitting this week, and those are always the best souvenirs. Maybe a U of T jersey could be sent here for a little trade??
Back to rowing, more bad luck. the good news is, I got a good price on my flight to Monaco. the bad news, I unwittingly booked it the same day as the Boat Race (Oxford vs Cambridge)! I am such a moron! Perhaps I will have to see about switching that. Or else console myself by extending my return until after the Royal Henley. I think the weather is better in July, so maybe that will be the plan. It is clearly the superior event...at least I think so.
Finally, while on the topic of rowing and Europe, I heard a rumour that there might be a U of Tcrew coming to this side of the pond this spring...true?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home