Tuesday, May 17, 2005

My 9 - 5er

On Saturday, I worked out like it was my job.
First, I met the rowing ladies for a nice little paddle to test out the eight before we race it on the 5th. Apparently it was try-outs for everyone else, and for me, i was told it was just a chance to see if I wanted to row with them. That's nice. I met one woman who shall remain nameless that didn't think much of me from the get go. I think she might be threatened. She made it clear to me that she had national race experience, and was clearly a better rower than i, although she wears bike gloves in the boat. I don't much care, as this is just something i do for fun, but nonetheless, despite my best efforts to be sweet, she took every opportunity to put me in my place. so ok. no worries...
after she dismissed from the post row discussion, which was in dutch anyway, i hopped on my bike and met up with the team for this really cool day of riding they'd planned. We invited all the clubs in the Netherlands to join us for a ride in Limburg. Tons showed up!! we must have had at least 15 mtbers and there were over 40 road riders as well. We biked for 4 and a half hours through belgium and holland and I even fell off once. A tree grabbed my handle bars from where it was hiding behind some grass and threw me into a rut lined with nettles. my arm swelled up and i still have a rash. fucking nettles. excuse my french, but honestly those little buggers are really starting to drive me nuts. finally, a nice mtber from Nijmegen showed me the antidote plant so hopefully in future they won't be such a pain in the ass.
anyway, the ride was nice and leisurely, with lots of breaks but lots of good climbing too. I am really excited for the race coming up in June, especially now that I have some acquaintences to catch up with from other dutch teams. Maybe even potential bike buyers. lots of interest expressed that day!
We closed the day with a pasta party at a teammate's house and crammed 35 people into the living room for a delicious dinner. and there was lots to eat too, which was great because i was absolutely starving. Those who could stay joined Dutch Mountains for a few drinks at our sponsor pub Ramblassin. I didn't make it past Ramblassin. I was just too beat. I slept almost all the next day despite my best laid plans to write a paper or something. then I set to the task of cleaning the bike. AGAIN. always cleaning the bike. now it is gleaming and i am hesitant to ride it again because i don't want to clean it again. i hope this isn't how it is in canada mtbing, but i can hardly remember now.
The next two weeks are all about school and then june is all about travel. there is a carnival in town at the moment with a crazy midway. i expect i'll check it out in the near future so i'll post photos. which reminds me, i am really behind in the photo department, so hopefully i still have the energy to put together some albums for you now!

check back soon.
Kristen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home