Sunday, May 08, 2005

Oh, Canada

VE Day has received a lot of press at home from what i hear, and if you were watching today, you saw what I saw in the flesh. I made my way to Apeldoorn this morning to greet the Canadian veterans alongside the Dutch they liberated, and it was a truly moving experience. I am really glad I went. I did the trip solo as most of my buddies are out and about with their visiting mothers (happy mother's day!) and despite the rain (and hail!) I had a really good time. I got to Appeldoorn at 1:00pm and had a little walk around to see the town and such. there were Canadian flags everywhere and that buzz was in the air. I found the marktplein without too much trouble and bumped into some Canadian soldiers from Ontario. We had a chat, and they gave me some souvenirs including a cd of the war time music which I will check out when I get home. I think I got a mousepad or two as well. Cool. I took some time to select my parade watching spot and met some very nice Dutch people who kindly shared their umbrella with me. I didn't have one, because I can't stand the damn things, but was very happy for it today as it poured off and on all afternoon. Just before the veterans arrived, we had a mini air-show. I wish I could remember what all the planes were called and I am impressed that there actually was a time I was around planes and military history enough to at least hazard a guess, but those days are gone. Thanks anyway air cadets! If i HAD to guess, I would say there was definitely a spitfire or two, but couldn't risk any other guesses without research. Luckily, for those aviation enthusiasts, I do have stills and video of the fly-bys, so maybe you can tell me. I will post those in the next photo round.
the streets were filled with people even though the weather was awful. they were singing and cheering "for he's a jolly good fellow" long before any of the jolly good fellows marched past. it was really touching to see such an outpouring of affection. I am trying to write this without sounding cheesy, but trust me, it will be a difficult task. it was really an experience to be there.
The parade made its way from the palace where the Dutch princess (the Queen was with president Bush in Margraten) had made her thanks and greeting, 3km to the markt and past where we all waited. Dutch people young and old reached out for the veterans outstretched fingers and pressed delftware clogs, flowers and of coures heinekin into their hands.
The veterans were quite the lively bunch. They were drinking and toasting all the way in the military vehicles preserved for such occasions. Bourbon was popular I noticed. It was really cool to see our heros treated with such respect and admiration. The man beside me said in his best english "thank you liberators" and it was so genuine, it brought a tear to my eye. Thank goodness it was raining or it might have been embarrassing.
The city itself was totally decked out for the occasion. There was Canadiana everywhere: flags, banners, t-shirts--rivalled Canada Day. No joke. It was a strange feeling having what i know and what I see clash so hard. ie, i know I was in Europe, but it sure felt like Yonge street when we won the double gold at the last Olympics.
So I am really glad I went. When I finished with the parade, I went to a small café to have some hot tea. Well deserved I thought. When I walked in, I heard my name being called and was quite confused...A nice Canadian woman had caught my attention, but I had no idea who she was. Then Natalie, another girl from U of T emerged and it all made sense. Her parents are visiting so we had a nice chat/tea/fries while we waited for the sun to come out again. Natalie and I caught the train back to Maastricht together, met another friend of mine, Joven (also Canadian!) in Utrecht...so so much for travelling solo. Anyway, I will say more when I have the photos, but thought I had better get this up since it has been a little while since I last blogged. I am starting to get complaints in my inbox!! sorry everyone!! i am going into paper mode, so hence the silence. I can't believe I am working on my last two papers....things that make you go "hmmmm".

2 Comments:

Blogger Angry Brown Man said...

I was a cadet too! Except I was a sea cadet and not an air cadet...

5:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

GUPPY! for shame....

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home